Your Top 5 Must-Watch Anime Movies of All Time?

What would you guys list as your top 5 must-see Anime Movies of all time ? This seems to vary from person to person, so i’m curious to spot anything i haven’t watched

My top 5 would be - (in no particular order)

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

The Secret World Of Arriety

Ghost In The Shell (Watched it when i was so small…barely understood what was going on :laughing: )

Gundam Wing : Endless Waltz (Holds a special place in my heart :blush:)

Awesome list! Absolutely loved Princess Monokeke and Spiited away! I’ll give the others a try when I have the time! To be honest I haven’t watched that many anime movies, I’m more into anime serieses than movies but here are some I’ll add to what you have mentioned already:

First of all Omoide no Marnie (When marine was there). It’s a fairly new movie by ghibli and heavily underrated.

The Kara no Kyoukai movies. Could be said to be the first masterpeice ufotable and Yuki Kajiura together have produced.

Also, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya). One of the greatest movies KyoAni has ever produced and as an avid fan of KyoAni I cannot but help mention it.

2 Likes

Will definitely give these a watch :o

WHAT ABOUT AKIRA ?? :heart_eyes:

Akira was good too…But i didn’t like it enough for it to be in my favourites :smile:

not everyone’s cup of tea i guess. but sure enough to make it one of the best of all time :smiley:

Yes, it is considered to be one of the best anime movies by so many people.
It was credited with expanding anime to the west

In fact it takes the No.1 spot in this top 10 by Watchmojo

You guys may also like this top 15 which features some lesser known anime movies

Ooooh. I cant name the top 5 because i love too many of them! So here is an extensive list of my favorites.
I’ll make a separate post for Ghibli

Films by - Mamoru Hosoda

my favorite being:
The Wolf Children - probably my favorite movie out of everything. Absolutely adore it. From the art, to the story telling.

He has directed other great films too. One that i particularly enjoy a lot. Especially in the animation and char design department, would be

Summer Wars. Great fun!

He has another popular anime called "The Girl Who Lept Through Time "

I need to watch his newest film "The Boy and the Beast"

Films by - Makoto Shinkai

His films are fairly popular,

Films like “5 cm per Second”, “Voices of a Distant Star”, The Children who Chase Lost Voices", etc

His films are easily the most stunning. the artwork is flabbergasting. mind blowing-ly beautiful.

Films by - Satoshi Kon

R.I.P
His works are all practically masterpieces too. Perfect Blue, being my favorite. 10/10 stuff.
But movies like Millennial Actress, Paprika,and Tokyo godfathers hold firm ground as well.
His story telling , and whacky movies sends you on trip. his unique style is easily recognizable , and i LOVE it.

Check out “Paranoia Agent” - An anime directed by him

Honorable mentions :

• A letter to Momo - Hiroyuki Okiura

-Sword of the Stranger - Masahiro Andô

-Dead Leaves - Hiroyuki Imaishi

Hopefully i’m not forgetting anything.

oh,
If you want my thoughts on ghibli movies , do let me know!

-DrCarrot

1 Like

Since some of my favorites are already posted here, i will get on with the ones which are not mentioned.

The last 2 look very interesting …Will watch

Brace yourself. It got bitter sweet endings.

1 Like

My personal top five would be:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack : This was the movie that introduced me to my favorite anime franchise to date and is what properly got me interested in anime as a medium.

1. Laputa Castle in the Sky : There’s many great Ghibli movies out there. This one though, is my personal favorite :slight_smile:

1. Appleseed : Always excited when I hear something about this franchise. It’s an amazing cop/military story set in an amazing post-war cyberpunk universe.

1. Lupin III vs Detective Conan : it’s not everyday that you see the most iconic thief in anime face off against anime’s most iconic detective

1. Patlabor the movie : Ignoring the horrible movie sequels that followed, the Patlabor series is a must watch for any mech anime fan :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is one that wasn’t mentioned before.

Sakasama no Patema -It has a very unique sci-fi story along with some really beautiful art,check it out if you haven’t.

2 Likes

My Top 5.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Hotaru no Haka

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi

Byousoku 5 Centimeter

Ghost in the Shell

1 Like

Why haven’t anyone mentioned girl who leapt through time :pensive:

1.Ghost in the Shell
2.Perfect Blue
3.Spirited Away
4.Girl who leapt through time
5.Wolf Children

1 Like

I have heard so much about “the girl who leapt through time” :thinking: i must watch it

Agreed! The girl who leapt through time was one of my first anime movies and still one of my favourites!

Guys whabout Kimi No Nawa???
BTW does anyone have information on Koe No Katachi??

1 Like

I think koe no katachi isn’t released yet

I mean its a good movie, Makoto shinkai works are generally good ,they usually take different take on romance but compared to someone like Mamaru Hosada, they aren’t that good ( this is of course relatively speaking ,I love his work)