Making of Gaara's Sand Gourd [Lanka Comic Con 2016 Cosplay]

I kept getting asked about how I made the Sand Gourd (which made me really happy to see that people were interested in it) The Sand Gourd was one of the most important items of the Gaara cosplay and it took quite a while for me to make it even though compared to most props used by Cosplayers this is pretty easy to achieve. Thanks to the many tutorials I found on the internet it wasn’t that big a hassle but the problem was finding the items I needed to make the Gourd. The basic structure was made out of beach balls and trust me there were practically NO STORES in Colombo that sold beach balls of the size I needed (about 20" diameter). Thanks to a trusted friend who told me about Malee Book Center in the Kollupitya Junction that sells a lot of interesting items that are not books, including beach balls, I was able to get these 14" Ben 10 beach balls.

Then I used a whole lot of Binding Tape and when I ran out of them I used a different kinda tape (that didn’t stick very well :frowning: ) to stick the two beach balls together and get the shape I wanted.

The next step was paper mache. I used the traditional flour and water mixture to stick the strips of newspaper on the structure and made sure I created several layers of them on top of each other.

For the top part of the gourd I used one of the empty Binding Tape rolls as the opening and a disposable plastic cup covered with a piece of cardboard, as the Cork Lid.

Next step was painting the Gourd. One mistake I made was the type of paint I used. I used lacquer paint which gave the Gourd a shiny surface and that was not what I was looking for. So If someone knows a better kind of paint to use for this, do share :slight_smile:

One issue I came across while painting the symbols on the Gourd was the paint kept dripping down the Gourd when I tried to paint it directly over the cream coloured paint. So I drew the symbols separately on A4 sheets and pasted them on the Gourd with Binder Glue.

So yeah that was pretty much it. Hope this helps anyone who wishes to cosplay Gaara in the future and if you do hope to do so, do not hesitate to ask me for help if you need it. :slight_smile:

p.s. excuse the mess in my room :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Wow very detailed explanation! I’m loving it. Gotta love your creativity. I’m sure this will immensely help people who are planning to do similar stuff. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Amazing work! what whats even more amazing is that you’re sharing your experiences and knowledge with everyone else! Respect to that :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow thats a lot of work … nice job !!!

1 Like

Always ready to share what I learn. We’re all in this together! :smiley:

1 Like

@Silver1704 Thank you!! :slight_smile: I hope it will help others :slight_smile:

@Honesty Thank you!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great work and thanks for sharing your knowledge with us :smile:

1 Like

I wanted you start throwing sand at people or better, start burying the crowd and squishing them but I was dissappointed :pensive: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Niceee.quite creative I must say.and u thought outside the box. I shd try it for the lulz.

PS:ur Gaara cosplay was 10/10 for me kek

1 Like

Really love the creative solution used to build this. Keep up the good work!

PS: I thought it was hollow when I originally saw it. :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

I was mindblown when I first saw the sand gourd~ Like, HOW? Well, now I know~ Kudos for the dedication! :grin: Looking forward to seeing you at the next comic con! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Amazing stuff Janu :slight_smile: Was really impressed with your cosplay. You brought Gaara to life with your cosplay! Keep up the great work! Hoping to see more amazing cosplays from you in the future.

2 Likes

@Kazuya Thank you! Anytime! :slight_smile:

@Kuroyukihime Well I kinda wanted to not get kicked out of my first comic con for crushing people to death :smiley:

@evilkeil Yes you should! :smiley: Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

@da.loli Thank you!! :slight_smile: well my friend thought so too. there were some dents on it at one point and she was like shall I reach in the gourd and fix it for you :smiley:

@kaykay omg really? thank you so much! Yes see you there! :slight_smile:

@Maze2475 I’m glad people liked it! Thank you! Now that I’ve gotten a taste of what cosplaying is like I don’t think I’m ever gonna stop! :smiley:

3 Likes

AWESOME! Good Work Janu. This Is epic. Never thought this was made out of 2 Beach balls. :smiley: I thought this must’ve weighed a ton. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley: It didn’t weigh that much but it got in the way when I tried to walk through doors :smiley:

Hahahhahahah its alright you could’ve shown your Kazekage hat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I will make sure I do. Next time :smiley:

1 Like

can you buy cosplay costumes and stuff at the upcoming comicon?

Hello Avinash. :slight_smile: I’m sorry I’m not really sure if we can buy cosplay material at the comic con. You might have to ask the organizers :confused:

1 Like

This is really helpful!! thanks!